WELCOME TO BRIDGE OF SIGHT FOUNDATION
XOVA AWARD 2021
The Bridge of Sight Foundation is a recipient of the 2021 eXcellence in Ophthalmology Vision Award (XOVA) Sponsored by Novartis.
CONGRATULATIONS TO BRIDGE OF SIGHT FOUNDATION!
This is a great achievement to us and we thank God for the enablement to carry out this project effectively. A record number of 170 non profit eye health initiatives from 39 countries were submitted to the eXcellence in Ophthalmology Vision Award (XOVA). An independent panel of ophthalmology and optometry experts selected the 10 projects that aligned best with XOVA’s mission and programs in which the Bridge of Sight Foundation is among the 10 recipient. See publication TITLE OF OF OUR PROJECT: Reducing the Burden of Visual impairment in School-going Children with Oculocutaneous Albinism in North Central Nigeria. The opening ceremony of Clinical Low Vision training and workshop in the North Central region by the Bridge of Sight Foundation supported by Novartis which started from the 25 April to 3rd May 2022
The Bridge of Sight Foundation has been in existence since 2003 but not as a corporate entity. Over the years, it has carried out various humanitarian activities such as visitations to orphanages, conducting free vision screenings at communities, distribution and monitoring of Vitamin A Supplements. Following the expansion of its activities and a desire to impact more lives, the Bridge of sight Foundation was formally registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) on the 7th of January, 2011.
The vision of this foundation is to eradicate preventable blindness and improve the ocular health of individuals, and we have gone about achieving this vision in the following ways:
- The conduction of enlightenment campaigns on Vision and Ocular conditions through the various media channels.
- The provision of free eye care for the vulnerable and underprivileged in society. We have at various times visited and provided care for the elderly, for children in orphanages, for physically challenged and special needs people, as well as prison inmates.
- Partnering with individuals, corporations, government and non-governmental organizations in the provision of affordable eye care services.
- The provision of Eye Health Education in Schools, Organizations and Rural Communities.
- The provision of visual rehabilitation to patients with poor/low vision.
- To provide support for schools for the visually impaired through the provision of tools such as Braille, Canes and Counselling.
- Sponsorship of individuals that require sight-saving procedures and surgery.
- The building of “Vision Corridors,” or self-testing walls in Schools, Health Centres and strategic public spaces.
- Sponsorship of community outreaches
- To provide support in Sports Vision, Entertainment Vision and Occupational vision.
SO FAR WE HAVE…
- Partnered with some media organisations such as The Nigerian Pilot Newspaper and the National Television Authority, Abuja; in creating awareness to the public on various eye conditions.
- Delivered eye health awareness lecture for staff of former Oceanic Bank Area 7,Garki, Abuja.
- Delivered eye health awareness lectures for drivers of Lingo Car Hire Service, Bolingo Hotels and Towers, Abuja.
- Partnered with eye care practitioners in conducting free vision screening and drug dispensing at Karu Village, Karu, Abuja.
- Partnered with eye care practitioners in distributing Vitamin A Supplement to some L.E.A. primary schools in Wuse and Jikwoyi districts in Abuja.
- Delivered school eye health talks and vision screening in various schools in the F.C.T. including Salem Academy, Solid Rock International, First Choice, Deo Gratias, Lanique and Green Vale schools.
- Delivered eye health lectures for staff of Federal Road Safety Corps, Lugbe FHA, Abuja.
- One (1) year eye care awareness radio program called the “THE EYES HAVE IT” on Armed Forces Radio.
- Carried out road walks and eye care awareness programs during the World Sight Days in Abuja.
- Donation of Healthy Eye activity books to various Schools within the FCT Abuja
- Creating awareness using different social media to reach a wider audience.